by Sang Kromah
Let’s be honest, we’re all on an eternal quest for healthy skin. Even if you have blemish-free skin, you’re looking for something more to make your skin glow.
With so many products on the market, it’s hard to know which products work. Every week, new products are introduced to us that we must have and many times, we invest in products that don’t work and we’re left disappointed and broke.
I know this first-hand because after making it out of high school, college, and grad school without acne, I tried some random liver cleanse that a friend told me about with a plant called, bupleurum and it gave me the worst case of cystic acne imaginable. It had me playing whack a mole with my pimples. One would pop up just as I got rid of another. So I became an expert on beauty products through trial and error and extensive research and got my skin to where I want it to be.
I’ve taken the guesswork out of the expensive and exhaustive process of shopping for beauty products by compiling a list of 10 must-haves to achieve a healthy summer glow.
1.BRAGG’S APPLE CIDER VINEGAR (WITH THE MOTHER)– You’re probably thinking, “Oh, I have some of that in the cupboard”, and my guess is NO! It has to be the cloudy organic stuff with “the Mother” in it or it will do absolutely nothing for you. I drink three table spoons of this (must be put in a bottle of water to dilute it) and drink it. Once Apple Cider Vinegar enters your body, it becomes alkaline. This means that your body has the right pH level to function better. Which means healthier gut health and better skin. It balances your skin’s pH levels, treating conditions like acne, especially when used both internally and externally regularly. This has stopped the cystic acne completely. It also helps to lighten skin discolorations if used topically. Also, you should be drinking about 64 oz of water a day.
2. THE BODY SHOP CLEANSING POLISH– This is one of my favorite scrubs. I first received it as a birthday gift last year and have bought it about five times since then. It’s very gentle and gives your skin a refreshing feel and look. With continued use, it brightens your skin and cleans it thoroughly without stripping it of its natural moisture.
3. KOPARI COCONUT BODY OIL– This spray oil is everything you could want in a moisturizer. It’s free of parabens, sulfates, and phthalates and absorbs quickly without having to worry about it leaving a residue on your clothes. I use it straight out of the shower and it leaves my skin feeling so soft. It smells like a pina colada.
4. KISS MY FACE OLIVE OIL BAR SOAP– I’ll say this upfront, if you’re into fragrant bar soaps, this one is NOT for you. If you want your skin to be left supple and clean without harsh chemicals, then this is for you. I found this soap at Whole Foods by chance because it was on sale, and fell in love after the first use. It smells like olive oil and I love that it has all natural ingredients. It also cleans my makeup brushes thoroughly with no great effort. I have never used a beauty bar that works as well as this one.
5. SHISEIDO PERFECT CLEANSING OIL– I was very skeptical about the idea of a cleansing oil. It sounded like an oxymoron to me, but a friend of mine couldn’t stop singing its praises, so I bought it and wasn’t disappointed at all. It removes every speck of makeup, leaving your skin clean and soft. Even though it is an oil, it doesn’t make skin oily. Your face is left so smooth with no trace of makeup.
6. BURT’S BEES HERBAL BLEMISH STICK– I’ve been using this for the last six months or so and love it. It does smell a little medicine-y upon application, but it doesn’t linger. It’s best to use it when you first feel a pimple coming on. It tingles when you put it on and you can feel it penetrating through your skin and it stops the pimple from emerging. And if you already have a pimple, it goes away in a day or so. The only downside is that the container is small, so it doesn’t last long.
7. THE BODY SHOP’S HONEY BRONZE SHIMMERING DRY OIL– This stuff is my secret to looking like a goddess on summer nights. I rub this stuff strategically on my legs, shoulders and other areas, depending on what I’m wearing and it gives my skin this ethereal glow, without looking like a unicorn sneezed glitter on me. It’s natural looking and makes your skin look so alluring without leaving a residue on your clothes.
8. NATURE REPUBLIC SOOTHING & MOISTURE ALOE VERA 92% GEL MIST– This gel mist is the most refreshing moisturizer I have ever used before. It works as an excellent toner and keeps it so hydrated. The only way I can describe the scent is clean. It isn’t flowery and doesn’t smell like medicine or perfume. It simply smells clean and when you use it, your skin feels rejuvenated.
9. MILK MAKEUP BLUR LIQUID MATTE FOUNDATION– I received this foundation absolutely free from Influenster in exchange for an honest review. To be honest, I’m always apprehensive when it comes to liquid matte foundations because they’re usually so thick that they end up clogging my pores, but I am so in love with this one. First of all, it isn’t heavy, so my skin doesn’t feel like it’s being smothered. Secondly, it covers absolutely everything. This is full coverage and it gives your skin such a natural look. After trying it on, I took a selfie and put it on Instagram and Facebook, and I have received over 10 messages asking me about this foundation.
10. ILIA IllUMINATOR– I love everything about this highlighter because it’s organic and a little goes a long way. It gives you such a subtle glow that people think your skin is naturally illuminated. Also, I sometimes use it as an eyeshadow or for contouring as well. It lasts all day and I had mine for about eight months.